Custom Search
Driving in Melbourne, Australia

Here are some informations about on how to obtain a victorian drivers license? or how long you could use your overseas license here if you are a tourist or immigrant…The need to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence.

New Zealand residents who hold a current licence are treated as interstate drivers.

Eligibility to qualify for a Victorian licence
You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a Victorian driver licence. No age exemptions apply.

Full Victorian driver licence
You must have held and provide evidence that you have held a licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday to obtain a full Victorian licence. Any period where you have been disqualified from driving either in Victoria, interstate or in NZ, is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

Probationary Victorian driver licence
You must have held and provide evidence that you have held a licence and be at least 18 years of age.

Licence Translations
If your licence is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an English translation. The translation is at your own cost.

VicRoads only accepts translations completed by:

  • a NAATI accredited (any level) translator, or
  • an official translation from the country of origin, or
  • appropriate consulate in Australia.

An International Driver Permit is acceptable as a translation of a driver licence.

How to apply – Victorian driver licence test

To obtain Victorian driver licence (full or probationary) you need to make an appointment to undertake a road law knowledge test, hazard perception test (HPT) eyesight test and a driving assessment (except as noted below) at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You must complete and pass the road law knowledge test and hazard perception test before you attempt the driving assessment.

Exemptions from licence tests
If you hold a driver licence from one of the following countries you are not required to undertake any tests provided your overseas licence is current or not expired by more than five years. However, you still need to make an appointment to changeover your licence if you are from a recognised country.
However, if your overseas licence includes a heavy vehicle category (eg. truck or bus licence), you must still complete a full heavy vehicle licence test to convert it to the equivalent heavy vehicle category in Victoria. Read more about what you need to do to get a Heavy vehicle licence.

Austria Finland Isle of Man 1 Netherlands (Holland) Sweden
Belgium France Italy Norway Switzerland
Canada Germany Japan Portugal UK
Croatia Greece Luxembourg Singapore USA
Denmark Ireland Malta 2 Spain Guernsey

1 for licences first issued on or after 1 April 1991
2 for licences first issued on or after 2 Jan 2004

Make an appointment for your test
To make an appointment:

  • call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm). You can pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard); or

You can book the driving test and knowledge tests for separate days if you wish.

If payment is not made over the phone, the payment must be finalised within seven days or the appointment will be cancelled. Payment can be made by cheque or in person at the VicRoads Customer Service Centre where your appointment is scheduled.

Important: You must bring the appropriate evidence of identity documents with you when you sit for your learner permit test. If you do not have the appropriate evidence of identity documents, you will forfeit your appointment and test fees.

Cancelling or changing your appointment
If you want to change an appointment you will need to pay another appointment fee. The test fee can be transferred to a new time (or refunded if the test is cancelled) if 24 hours notice is given.

Refer to the driver licence and learner permit fees for the information on the following fees:

  • Appointment
  • Knowledge test (only when undertaking the knowledge test as part of your overseas licence conversion)
  • Hazard perception test
  • Driving assessment
  • Driver licence card – 10 years or 3 years

There are no concessions available for appointment, test or licence fees.

Evidence of Identity
On the day of your appointment you need to bring original evidence of identity documents. You must have:

  • your overseas licence and an English translation
  • one primary evidence document (eg. Australian birth certificate or passport)
  • one secondary evidence document with your Victorian address (eg. credit/account card, phone bill, bank statement)
  • evidence of Victorian address if not included on secondary evidence document (eg phone bill, bank statement)

One of these documents must have your signature on it.

If your overseas licence is not available you can provide a letter from either:

  • the issuing country’s driver licensing authority confirming your licence details, or
  • the issuing country’s consul in Australia where the consul has verified your licence details with the issuing country’s licensing authority

Study material
To prepare for your test you need to study the “Road to Solo Driving” handbook. The handbook is available in English and 4 other languages (Chinese – Mandarin, Vietnamese, Turkish, Arabic) and can be purchased from VicRoads online bookshop, VicRoads Customer Service Centres, RACV offices, some newsagents and bookshops.

Test vehicle
VicRoads does not provide vehicles for drive tests. You need to ensure the vehicle you will be using meets the conditions of the vehicle allowed for driving tests.

Knowledge test
The road law knowledge test is available in a number of languages:

Albanian English Macedonian Sinhalese
Arabic German Polish Somali
Cambodian Greek Romanian Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin) Italian Russian Turkish
Croatian Laotian Serbian Vietnames

If you do not speak one of these languages VicRoads can provide an interpreter at no extra cost to you.

Returning your overseas licence and permit
When you are issued with a Victorian driver licence you do not need to surrender your overseas licence or permit. The overseas licence or permit will be returned to you.